|Image Courtesy of madamenoire.com|
Mothers are a key female figure in the life of most girls. Let us also refer to mothers also beyond the biological but also add the women who had a key role to play in our life as daughters; it could have been our grand mother, aunt, teacher, step - mother or just a woman who we met along the way.
So how do mothers influence their daughters?
- Mothers impact their daughters self image and even femininity from the onset of menstruation.
- Some mothers "cross-mentor" each others daughters.
- Mother-Daughter relationships affects communication between life mates and female peers
- Biological mothers menopause can have effect on daughters fertility
- Mothers teach life, not through words but by what she does.
- Et cetera.
There are so many things that mothers impart on their daughters but a valid question remains; Should mothers teach daughters to enjoy sex? and with a recent study claiming mothers have a big influence over daughters views of sexuality. It is time for Mothers to guide their daughters on sexuality by talking about it because;
- Mothers who talk about sex positively influence daughters behavior.
- Mothers exert more influence on timing of first intercourse among daughters
- Sexuality; Not talking about it could lead to unintended pregnancy or even long term relationship in which they are sexually unhappy.
- Mothers can influence daughters femininity.
However, most mothers are afraid of the responsibility of discussing sexual health and safety with their daughters and so keep quiet about it.
This leads to a great drift in the mother-daughter relationship when the daughter keeps her sexuality a secret, consequently the mother starts to play guessing games because she did not open a platform to discuss mutually on the daughters sexuality at the right time but rather handed the job to another adult like an aunt or even worse, left it to the media or to the daughters common sense if not to her equally misinformed peer group.
Do you have any Questions, Comments, Criticism or even a story to share, feel free to do so by commenting or write to us; firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also like to read;
MOTHER - DAUGHTER SEXPERTS
REPAIRING THE MOTHER DAUGHTER-RELATIONSHIP
MOTHERS TENDENCY TO MIMIC DAUGHTERS CONSUMPTION BEHAVIOR
15 INSIGHTS ON IMPROVING MOTHER-DAUGHTER RELATIONSHIPS
MAKING DAUGHTERS SAFE AGAIN. MOTHER -DAUGHTER SEXUAL ABUSE