We all must have heard of MTV's 16 and Pregnant TV Show. Different opinions have arisen towards this show and the way it depicts pregnancy on teenagers with question whether it educates or causes to imitate.
Both arguments may be justified but the question is what is the reason for teenage pregnancy and does teen pregnancy have any consequences?
WHAT CAN CAUSE TEEN PREGNANCY?
The answer is simple, indulgence in sexual activities without using protection but what are other underlying causes before the actual act of sex?
POINT OF VIEW: Say a teenage girl witnesses her close friend or even a celebrity who has had a child early quite happy, she would perceive that it is Ok to be young and pregnant. This view could be different if the environment does not view teenage pregnancy favorably, however this does not put a cause to the problem.
OVERTLY TRUST : Too much trust that your partner will take care of you and even love you more should you get pregnant. This happens in some cases but also does not happen in other cases. However, in some cases teenage pregnancy has led to single parents or single mothers when the father denies responsibility.
NO CAUTION : Some teenagers think they know how to prevent teenage pregnancy because they know 'how to play the game.' Truth is, there is no game and the safest 100% way to avoid teenage pregnancy is Abstinence.
INCORRECT MEASURES : Failing to use contraceptives correctly can render them useless and therefore lead to teenage pregnancy. Even the slightest insertion can lead to pregnancy.
IGNORANCE : Many teenagers are misinformed or not informed at all on teenage pregnancy.
CONSEQUENCES OF TEEN PREGNANCY
- RISKY DELIVERY. This is because your young body is not ready for the stress that comes with delivering a baby hence teen pregnancy put the teen mother and the child equally at risk.
- UNHEALTHY BABIES. This could be due to the lack of proper nutrition a baby is given by its teen mother. Some low weight babies could also have under-developed organs.
- DISCRIMINATION. Sometimes teen mothers face discrimination in their society because of the stigma that comes with teen pregnancy.
- FINANCIAL PROBLEMS. Raising a baby is quite expensive naturally. Do you have enough money to feed and clothe your child as well as provide a comfortable home with all its needs rendered?
- SCHOOLS OUT. As a teen mother, probably you are still in school and you will have to put that on hold especially when you are almost due and after delivery. Some teen mothers take a long time to return to school if ever.
Have you enjoyed this article? What do you think about it? Comment or email us at; email@example.com.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ;
THE EFFECTS OF TEEN PREGNANCY ON CHILDREN
TEEN PREGNANCY AND ITS EFFECTS ON THE MOTHER
THE EFFECT ON TEENAGE PREGNANCY AND SOCIETY
THE IMPLICATIONS OF TEENAGE PREGNANCY; UNRESOLVED ISSUES