WHAT IS SELF HARM
Self harm is the deliberate yet non-suicidal injury to one’s body tissues e.g. self- injury, self- poisoning or any harm done to the body but without intention of suicide.
WHY WOULD SOMEONE SELF HARM
Self harm is used by self harming individuals as a way to deal with and/or express deep distress and emotional pain even though the relief achieved is only temporal.
WHAT CAUSES SELF HARM
Some causes of self harm are:
•Self - punishment to relieve guilt
•Drugs and alcohol
•To stop numb feeling
•A plea for help
•To feel in control
WHY TREAT SELF HARM
- Self harm offers a relief and a way of expressing the pain the self-harmer is dealing with so why should it be treated? It should be treated because;
- The solution is temporal. The self-harmer will need to indulge in self-harming again and again each time the stressors present themselves.
- Self harming may lead to long term problems.
- It may cause body infections.
- It becomes addictive.
- It becomes compulsive behavior.
- Stops you from learning effective and healthy strategies of dealing with stress or pain.
- Causes body trauma.